Classical Music and even just instrumental music, in general, does not get enough love as it deserves. It can be often described as “boring” and “all sounding the same,” but this type of music is anything but that. I love listening to classical and instrumental music on car rides, walking to classes, doing homework, or just relaxing around the house. Although, the one difficult thing with classical music is you can’t google search a piece by just saying “the one piece where the flutes do some really high part.”
Classical/Instrumental music has many benefits to it. It has been proven to decrease blood pressure, increase productivity, and boost memory. It is also good for helping to increase creativity, and some studies have found that it can alleviate symptoms of depression.
I am here to share with you some of my favorite classical pieces as well as some pieces for the people who claim they hate it.
Pieces I love:
- Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy
- Canon in D by Johann Pachelbel- but specifically the version on the album Sad Violin -Music That Will Make You Cry. (Canon in D is my ALL TIME favorite piece)
- Suite No. 2, Op. 17 by Sergei Rachmaninoff
- Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major by Johann Sebastian Bach
For people who ‘hate’ this genre of music:
- Canon in D on Electric Guitar – This version is only found on youtube. I found it maybe 5 years ago and I have loved it ever since.
- 1812 Overture Op.49 by Tchaikovsky- This piece has a battery of cannons as part of its percussion. How can it not be good?
- Movie Scores- Such asHTTYD by John Powell
- Apollo 13 by John Williams
- Star Wars by John Williams
- The Planets by Gustav Holst- this is an entire album. My favorites are Mercury and Neptune.
- Piano Guys- This is a group and not a specific piece, but they have done many instrumental covers of songs and are really good.
Classical/Instrumental music is a genre that I believe needs to get more love. Hopefully, you can find something you like on this list.